Author Topic: Newbee  (Read 1109 times)

RavBowHunter

• Referrals: 0
Newbee
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:49:34 AM »
Hey guys.  I am new to salmon fishing.  I bought a 17.5' deep vee last August and did a little trolling on the big lake, albeit without any downriggers because I wanted to see how I liked it before making that investment.  Despite only boating one "shaker," as I believe the lingo dictates, but losing multiple other big fish because of improper gear, poorly tied knots (I guess my walleye knots weren't strong enough), inexperience, etc., I still had a blast.  Then, when the big fish made their run, I was able to get out and land a few monster kings out of Muskegon Lake.  So, I am officially hooked!  I just bought two downriggers and have otherwise upgraded a lot of my gear so I am looking forward to my first full year tolling the big lake.

I just wanted to introduce myself, I will be in the red G-3 and I run big boards so you should be able to spot me.  Feel free to say hello.  I may enter some of your events toward the middle or end of the season, I don't think I will be proficient enough to compete in the early season, and look forward to learning a lot this season and hopefully getting to know some good guys.

fishsniffer

Re: Newbee
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »
just remember this tourney is less about competition and more about meeting folks and learning from each other..theres a lot of helpful people fishing these and its open communication..ask all the questions you want during the tourney..if youre not catching fish someone will jump on the radio and help you out..

RavBowHunter

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:23:19 PM »
Yeah I really want to fish the tournaments, just don't know if my old lady will ok me forking over $50 until I have some chance of return on the investment. 

James Main

• 1 MAINIAC
  • Administrator
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:48:19 PM »
Try it you will like it  and remember unless your fishing with your wife  and kids you can split the cost with your friends. Feel free to ask any thing you need info on I started doing this in 1969 with mostly homemade gear on my uncles boat. What makes this  fun is we do it  as a group meaning we help each other out even though we are competing with each other. Lots of good ribbing and info on the radio some of us even give honest reports LOL. Most of the time some one  would have room to bring you along with them so let us know if your short handed or would like to ride along some time. I honestly think you will learn more  in one season of doing our events than you can imagine.
Welcome to our site and hope to fish with you soon.
Tight Lines
Jim

RavBowHunter

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »
Thanks guys, I am really looking forward to my first full season with a boat.  I am about half way through The Complete Trollers Guide by Captains Dan Keating and Chip Porter right now and all I can think about is getting on the water!

As far as splitting cost--you don't know my friends.  LOL.  J/K. 

James Main

• 1 MAINIAC
  • Administrator
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 10:36:29 PM »
Once my wife figured out how much it cost to fish on my boat she suggested I get new friends LOL. It is way cheaper to get your fish at Red Lobster LOL.

RavBowHunter

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »
But not nearly as fun!

inreeltrouble

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »
Welcome to the site, as Don and Jim have said this tournament is a great way to get info and learn alot. Trust me if anyone has learned alot in the past few years is me. these are a great bunch of guys and are always willing to help. Don't feel u have to be great to join us on the water, take a look at some of the pics posted from past events and u will see we are not professionals. I had the smallest fish the first year then great improved my catch due to the help that is offered from everyone.Hope to see you out this spring. Doug ( inreeltrouble )

anything